Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Project 365: {12/365}

Here it is finally... my enchilada sauce! I am asked for this recipe often but since I just throw things together I have not had a definite recipe to follow or share. I prefer to add extra onion, garlic and spice to mine. You may want to do the same if the recipe does not have enough "kick" or flavor for you. I prefer a chunkier sauce but you can definitely use a hand blender to puree into a thinner sauce. I have yet to use fresh tomatoes to make this but plan to from our garden's bounty.{I will share the results} I make a large batch so I have enough to freeze. Enjoy!


Enchilada Sauce


Makes about 3 quarts


Ingredients:


4 cups onions, diced
1 bulb of garlic, minced
6 tablespoons butter
4 28 ounce cans tomatoes {I used crushed this time but fire roasted diced are my favorite}
2 cans diced green chilies
4 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil
Salt to taste


Preparation:


Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, green chilies, cumin, oregano, basil and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered, for about 20 minutes.


* All ingredients are organic but non organic will work just fine.
** When you go to make the enchiladas dip your tortilla in the sauce to coat and soften before you fill. 

1 comment:

  1. I am SO trying this!!! looks amazing! thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete